Friday 24 November, 2006

Ram on our side

RAM ON OUR SIDE
(May’1992)

My name it means nothing, all said and done
For the country I am born in is called Hindustan
I was taught and brought up the “dharma” to abide
And that the land that I live in has Ram on its side!

The history books tell it, they tell it so well
The Aryans charged and the Indians fell
The Aryans charged and the Indians died,
Hindustan was born with Ram on its side!

The sons of the soil were then shown their way…
As second class citizens on their own soil to stay
The names of the heroes, I was made to memorize
With blood on their hands, and Ram on their side!

The status of a human no longer remained so
The reasons for discrimination were different from before
But, I learnt to accept it, and accept it with pride
For you don’t think of the damned when Ram’s on your side!

Then came “Shilanyas” and the Ayodhya war…
Could some one tell me what was the fighting for
So many Indians died… so many Indians cried…
I think, I know why… we had Ram on our side!

I am told to hate all Muslims all through my life…
And that for the sake of my country, it is them I am to fight
And to kill them and fear them and to run and to hide
And to accept it all proudly with Ram on my side

Our hatred is swelling day after day…
As we wipe out all “bastards” who stand in our way
Kill them and drown them in the Hindu tide
And don’t you ask questions… you have Ram on your side!

But through many dark hours, I have been thinking about this
That at Jallianwala Bagh, the killers were British…
I can’t think for you… you’ll have to decide…
Whether General Dyer, too, had a Ram on his side?

My head goes reeling as I think about life
Are Ram and his tribe worth all this strife?
After all this bloody killing under misplaced religious pride,
I wouldn’t wish an enemy to have a Ram on his side!

Now that I am thinking, it makes me weary as hell…
The confusion I am feeling is beyond me to tell…
The words fill my head and fall to the floor
I am reaching out for my gun… ‘cause Ram’s knocking at my door!

(Inspired and influenced by B Dylan’s “God on our side”)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very thought provoking. Definitely needs to be sent around the country. Bravo!